Monday, September 25, 2006

Being one of three...

is best for me. I remember quite vividly the day my Mom told me & Sam that we were going to have a little brother or sister. It was the icing on the cake of probably the best year of my life to that point. After some tough times for my family, my parents decided that they really were meant to be & embarked on a new journey together, remarrying on our vacation to Maryland. The following summer, we packed up the house, the dog, the cat, the construction supplies, the boat, the trucks & of course, us, and headed cross country for a fresh start in Maryland, my dad's childhood home. That trip TOTALLY sucked. We were all sick, the trucks overheated, got flats, the cat & dog jumped out while the truck was moving & to top it off, we never got to see the Grand Canyon or the World's Fair. We did, however, get to Maryland safe and sound, ready to jump into our new lives clear across the country from California. Talk about an adjustment. ANYWAY, I digress. We quickly settled into our new lives in East Coast suburbia, throwing a fun labor day party for our new friends & family. Well, Fr. Brault decided blessing my parents bed was in order that day. Hm. Wasn't but a month or so later my Mom broke the news to Sam & I about the impending arrival. To say we were excited would be an understatement. When my parents were separated, we never even entertained the idea of another sibling, we just wished for our family to be one again. When things smoothed out for us, Sam & I began bugging my parents in earnest for a little brother or sister. Both Mom & Dad told us the time had passed for adding to our family & that we were just perfect the way we were. Well, I guess the Man upstairs had other plans. Our neat little family of four morphed into a rambunctious five on July 20, 1983.
Things in the Lewis household would never be the same, to say the least. Sam & I finally had the brother we'd wished for, the whole family we'd prayed for, a pool & by the following year, my Nana with us all the time.
Mark changed all our lives with his. Even though we had a true generational gap from Markie to me, with Sam somewhere in between, we have always been & will remain a tight little sib family of 3. I am so incredibly blessed to have my sister and brother in my life. I can't imagine life without either of them. Which is why...
3 is the number for me. I want my girls to be one of 3. I can't imagine a more perfect number. I can't imagine better siblings. I certainly can't imagine life with just me & Sam. All was right in the planetary alignment for the Lewis children, the Wetherill children & maybe someday, for the McCawley children.
Wish me luck.

No comments: