Wednesday, December 23, 2015

I can't even count...

how many times a day I utter these words…
I just want my babies back.
I just want my life back. 
I just want to be a mama to 5 littles. 


And every. single. time.
I get slapped in the face by the cold reality that I just can't have what I want.  That the picture you see is a memory- one that I can't ever live again this side of Heaven.

And Charley can't have her time machine.
Max can't see them again.
Eva…
Oh, that sweet child is so far in a box that I have not one clue what she wants.
Wait- that's just not true.
In steadfast eldest child fashion, she is tenacious in her resolve to subdue the sadness. to fix it. to deftly gloss right over that GIANT gaping hole in our lives that used to be a family of 7.
She hasn't stalled one bit…
She dances, pirouettes, splits, leaps, and spins.
She plans, organizes, strategizes, plots and outlines.
She consoles me, upholds me, she dries my tears.
She utters a THOUSAND miles a minute-convinced the steady stream of spoken word masks the silence.  determined to consume the yawning void that used to be the chaos of 5 and is now the subtle silence of 3.
3.
Not 5.
3.
What does it feel like for them?  Truly? WHAT?
Every morning when I wake, I'm consumed with thoughts of them.  It's what makes me want to just stay asleep.  When I'm asleep, I don't know.  I don't know they aren't alive here anymore.  Or maybe it's why I never seem to want to go to sleep.  Because I know I'll have to wake again to the completely sucky reality that THEY AREN'T HERE.
It's why Charley won't sleep.
And she's 9.
9 years old.
And in her mind, her innocent black and white consciousness…
it's her fault.  
She shouldn't have asked.
IF she could just build a time machine, she could change her mind.  And they wouldn't go on that ride.  And Mercy & Sammy would still be here.
It doesn't seem to matter how many times I tell her it's not her fault…
she can't change it.
her heart is broken and she's, well, NINE.
She's not ok.
She's not fine.
None of them are.  and no matter how much anyone wants them to be, they aren't.

And how do I convince my littlest surviving child that he won't always feel so lonely, that someday, somehow, he will find joy again?  That he will be accepted simply for who he is?  The way he once was by his precious little soulmates?

I wanted to rise to the occasion of Christmas.  I wanted to triumph over the unspeakable sadness, the loneliness and the tears to force all of us to be joyful, thankful, peaceful.
I wanted to.  I really did.
And I failed.
We all did.
The only thing I forced myself to do was buy presents because I simply couldn't bear the thought of more sadness and disappointment on their sweet faces.

Maybe I'm just spent...I've risen to every occasion that has come my way since this began.  And I'm tired. No. NOT just tired.  I'm bone-weary, exhausted, emotionally drained and completely heartbroken.  I've endured football games without my little cheerleader and quarterback.  I've forced a smile and light conversation during our homeschool days.  I've packed Operation Christmas Child boxes.  I've cried my way through 8 Nutcracker performances without my baby ballerina and her biggest fan.  I've lit a garden of remembrance with my surviving son while my oldest child sobbed in the background & my now "middle" child hunkered down on the stairs.  I've endured the "how are you?" question without screaming my head off more times than it's possible to count.

I wanted to write today to bring hope-to encourage faith-to focus on the real reason we celebrate this precious holiday.

But the only thing I could write was this.

And maybe, just maybe, I'll find my words again.  If I just close my eyes, reach for Him and let Him tell me about the beauty He sees, I'll know the glory of His creation, His peace, His purpose and His provision once again.

Please pray for us.  Each of us is wading upstream through a fog we can't seem to clear.  Prayer and the grace of God have truly held us up.   And perhaps I've gotten too proud and too stubborn to ask for it as often as we need it (which is, seriously, every minute of the day)-perhaps I've allowed expectation of "moving on," flat out fury at what our life is now, and quite simply, utter exhaustion- to keep me from asking, from telling, from SHOUTING how desperately we need our Savior and every precious prayer rendered on our behalf.  We ache for each one.
We simply.
cannot.
live.
without.
HIM.

Him who gave us life.  Him who gave us breath.  Him who GAVE HIS SON for us.  He spared not HIS own son.  And what pride, what selfishness, what-could possibly convince me that he would spare my children from the consequence of human choice and sin, when He gave His OWN Son to save us from the original consequence of the choice to sin.
Human pride-
-fallible sin
-a corrupted and selfish world.


He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all--how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?  
                                                 Romans 8:32

And what are those things?
They are hope...and a future...and plans to prosper us, give us hope and a future.  All of these are His promises.  And He never breaks a promise.

So, for this moment, this night, this precious minute, I will cling desperately to that HOPE.

But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed.

                                                                                     Isaiah 53:5

Please pray for our healing, our peace and our future.  Pray for yours.  Pray for every parent walking this earth without the fellowship of their precious child or children.  

In His grip and by His grace, 
clan mac mama

5 comments:

Unknown said...

There are no words that I can say to help you, but I promise you are in my prayers and so is the rest of your family. I am so sorry for your loss.

Aunt Dom said...

I hugged you one day and just from the look in both our eyes, we knew we were walking the same path. Christmas has to be the hardest, loneliest it gets. We were used to the joy, wonderment, and love in their faces and now we can't see them. I told you to sit quietly and listen because when you do, you can hear their voices. I pray your babies visit you this night in their heavenly celebration of the birth of our lord. May their celebration bring joy to your celebration just knowing that they are in his presence and at his right hand. I think of you often and pray gods peace over your family. MERRY CHRISTMAS CLAN MAC, may the magic of this day bring you some rest.

Tammie Lewis said...

Praying for your family on this night. Praying for just one moment of comforting peace from our Heavanly Father for you, knowing he is holding tightly to you. I do not have words, but will continue to pray. I just know that your sweet babies are dancing inHeavan tonight preparing for the biggest birthday celebration of all. Think of their amazing smiles and laughter and know that they are sending the best and biggest hugs to you. Merry Christmas Clan Mac. Love from California

TechieGator said...

( this was shared by my sister-in-law's brother. Thinking of you during this difficult time. )
This is going to be a fairly long post but it is a message of hope so bear with me.

First and foremost, I want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!

It has been almost nine years since I went through one of the most horrific events of my life when I lost my two awesome boys, Jake and Travis, in an SUV/train accident in Greenwood, IN. At the time of the accident my faith in God was very strong but I still had a lot of questions for God and I still do. Doubt crept in and I had a lot of questions about faith or the point of faith. That is a normal result of grief when you go through an unthinkable tragedy like this. Thankfully this mindset was temporary. What l learned was no matter how well you live your life or try to live by God's principles, bad stuff can still happen and we see it all the time. My marriage was not on solid ground for many years and I went through a divorce. Let me make one thing clear about that. There are always assumptions that no marriage can survive a tragedy like this and that's not true. In my case there were serious underlying issues that existed for many years that were never resolved or reconciled. The tragedy of the boys just compounded that but wasn't the cause.

So I did some soul-searching not knowing what my purpose in life was or where I was going but I tried to continue leaning on my faith. I did some things my own way and God let me do them and I learned some valuable lessons about myself and also about life. It was pretty chaotic for awhile as I didn't seem to have much direction, just kind of going through the motions and moving clear across the country.

But I started going to a great church in Scottsdale.AZ called Impact Church and then got involved with a powerful men's group and an offshoot of that group called Rebel. (You guys know who you are). My faith came back to the forefront and I realized I just had to trust where God was going to lead me next. I had a real sense of peace and something inside just told me to be patient that good things would eventually come. Not guaranteed but I believed!! That is the real point of faith!! I am very thankful for these brothers who made a huge impact on my life!!

I began working with my brother John in the financial planning business in the Bay Area and it has been a real blessing to be able to work with him after all these years.

But the most significant and amazing event that I believe God blessed me with after several years of uncertainty, was to bring Andrea Gossman Ransburg into my life. She is an amazing gift that I treasure and I could not ask for a better woman to share life with. She is everything I could have ever wanted in life and in our faith and convictions and I thank God for her everyday!! Thank you Andrea for being you!!❤️❤️

My point is that if you trust in God and remain faithful, He will continue to bless your life even after the most devastating and horrific circumstances you may go through. Don't give up on life. Keep pushing on and you may be totally blown away at His goodness. I know I am glad I didn't give up. πŸ˜ƒ

We see a lot of crazy bad things going on in the world today but there is always light in the worst darkness. Trust Him to show that to you each and every day!! Don't take a single day for granted and always make the best of each and every day where humanly possible.

I would not be where I am today without the grace of God. I thank Him for his never-ending love that we need to share and show throughout our lives especially after He showed us through giving us His son which is the purpose of Christmas.

Thanks for listening and remember that there is always hope!!

Have an awesome holiday season!!πŸ™πŸ™πŸŽπŸŽπŸŽπŸŒ²πŸŒ²πŸŒ²❤️
Romans 8:28.

Unknown said...

Not sure if you ever got my letter I sent to the church. I met you at memorial park beach access late one evening around July 7th. I pray for your family everyday & think of you often. We hugged & you didn't know but my life was also saved that day in a way that's hard to explain. My husband & I were leaving & you acknowledged my butterfly tattoo. You told me how much Mercy loved butterflies & wanted me to know how beautiful it was. I didn't want to pry but could see the sadness in your eyes. I later found out the circumstances & cried for hours. I wish I could've said something different or maybe sat & shared stories of your wonderful children. I hope you find peace in this crazy world & maybe a little bit of the joy that was taken. God will lift you up & give you strength to go on & one day you'll have a magnificent reunion. Love to your family & I hope to be able to read more of your blogs soon. Writing can be very therapeutic. Sending prayers!