Sunday, January 01, 2012

18 Years Ago Today, Part 2...


Okay, so please don't expect a grand, eloquent blog post. I do not have a way with words like my beautiful wife. But when I logged on this morning after church and read her beautiful post, I just wanted to write a few things here about the love of my life.

See, before we even went on our first date I had to work up the courage just to ask her out and even then I arranged it so that we went out with a group of friends. But as we went on more dates, I truly realized that I had found the woman of my dreams.

She mentioned the first night I that New Year's Eve when I told her "I Love You. I really do." She mentioned that it took me a while to "get there" and that she left once, sure she wanted to be free. And how I was patient, kind, forgiving, and loved her unconditionally.

What she didn't mention was how much of a pain I was during our first few years together, while dating. It was during these years, that she was the patient, kind, forgiving, and yes most of all, the one who loved me unconditionally. She put up with a lot from me during those first years. Times when any other woman would have probably given up and told me it was time to leave.

When I look back, I am the one who thanks God that she hung in there and did not give up on me.

We have been blessed in so many ways these past 18 years. And yes we are closer than ever. We share a rare bond, that holds us close even when apart.

Tiffany, I thank you for your wonderful post, it lifted me up when I needed it most. It was hard being away from you during this time of year. As I was walking back to my room last night, I was thinking of that night, 18 years ago, in that honky-tonk when I first told you, "I Love You" and also how we renewed our vows, 11 years ago, in Solana Beach. Then I wake and find your lovely post. Coincidence? I think not! I believe it is two hearts that love each other so much, that nothing can keep them apart!

I am counting the days until I return home and hold you in my arms so you can whisper...

I Love You Darling
And I'll be there.
C

No comments: