Thursday, August 23, 2007

Home again, home again, jiggety jog

I HAVE A HOME!!!! I have never in my life (boot camp, mos school excepted) lived so long without a place to call home. I cannot tell you the emotions that bubbled over when I finally got to walk into MY home. Granted, it looks like a tornado hit a toy store, a kitchen supply, a clothing boutique and a furniture store, then dumped it squarely in my new house. I've been digging my way out, one mess at a time, since I woke up on tuesday.
Saturday, September 1st
Well, it's now a week later and I'm still digging. I had made some pretty awesome progress until the movers finally arrived with my storage shipment. If I didn't need this stuff for 3 years, forgot what I had and am now just irritated with most of it, what was the point of storing it? AHA, this brings me to my "thought of the day..."
seriously. Americans have TOO MUCH CRAP. case in point: my garage is overrun with enough books to stock a library, an entire extra set of living room furniture, office furniture and countless boxes of stuff I am afraid to even open. and I am NOT even a pack rat (anymore.) I've learned one thing from my seemingly endless cycle of relocation...
ONLY keep it if:
it is functional for making your life easier
it makes you look like a BILLION bucks
you will fall apart if you no longer own it (this applies only to childhood memorabilia, inherited items & your kid's memorabilia)
aforementioned memorabilia needs to be kept to a REASONABLE level, i.e. a few things from each year for your kiddos and a few for you.
your spouse will divorce you if you chuck it (unless the single life is oddly appealing and you are sick of doing tons of laundry)

PURGE it if:
you have no idea what it is
you can't remember why you bought it to begin with
it creates a fire hazard

SELL it if:
you can retire on the proceeds of the sale OR
you are broke. (hmm, wonder where i got that thought, since i just spent enough money at target to feed my family for 2 months. donations can be mailed to... :-)

okay. so purge your crap, streamline your life and spend more time laughing, loving and living.
AND. don't be mad about stupid crap. life is too short.
hi ho, hi ho, it's off to drink wine i go. i'm all "sorted" out.
til tommorow, that is.

i promise to post pics next time.

luv to all
tiffers

3 comments:

Aimee said...

I miss drinking with you! And, yes, I have entirely too much stuff!

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

Glad you are starting the process of getting settled. We are still unpacking and purging crap! So I agree with you. Sounds like you had a good visit with family and friends. Hope you continue to feel more settled and connected each day!

thekellyfive said...

I say that moving is the BEST motivator for getting rid of crap! You just look at stuff and go, "Is this really worth my time and effort to pack and unpack and move so far away?" Brandon and I have gotten rid of soooo much stuff since moving here. Glad you have a place to settle into! And when you're done with that moving fairy you talked about, send her my way next! Tampa or bust, baby.