Sunday, April 01, 2007

The Long Good-Bye



Lately I've been ruminating on our impending departure from Okinawa. Last night I said a tearful good-bye to one of the best friends I've ever made, surrounded by 2 other best friends and thier families. It started me thinking about my life and the moves I've made, the changes, the friends, family, homes and places I've left behind. I guess I started the good-byes when I was around 6. They stopped for a while when my family settled in La Plata, but started again when I reached the ripe old age of 18. Thanks in part to the Marine Corps and in another part to my indecision, I (and we) have moved so many times in the last 17 years that I have lost count. When we left DC, we were immensely proud to have lived in our home there for 18 months. THAT IS SO SAD. When we leave Okinawa, it will be just 4 weeks shy of THREE years in one home. Not so long ago, thinking about our next move, I asked Susan (my Mom-in-law) what it was like to have lived one place her entire life. She summed it up in one word. Nice.

Nice. I think it would be nice to live one place, nice to make friendships that I don't have to bid farewell, nice to shop at the same grocery store forEVER, nice to pump my gas at the same corner station, nice to see my children grow up WITH thier friends. Watching those girls (and Alex & Nate) play last night was heartwarming and heartbreaking all at the same time. Hugging my dear friend Good-Bye as I sobbed sucked. And I'll do it again soon. BUT.

I still talk to Angi as much as I can, post silly comments regularly on her blog & send kid art through the mail. Cassie & I still manage to be joined at the phone despite the fact that we live 1/2 a world apart. Debbi still sends cards for every holiday and never forgets my birthday. Tami, Annie & I already have a vacation together planned for July and if it kills me I will somehow manage to get Jodi there. Connie & I still see each other EVERY Christmas and never forget to wish each other Happy Birthday on the Marine Corps Birthday. Michelle keeps me laughing & learning from her blog and comments and is STILL so dearly missed here. Stacey & Jen always clear their schedules when I go home to Texas and make me feel like I never left and remind me how loved and missed I am there. (You still give me crap for leaving and I love you both for it!) Heidi has just left but already sent me a sweet email that reminds me of why we she was, and still is, such a great friend. Paige & Mary might not be by blood sisters, but they are my sisters in spirit and always make me feel loved, missed and a part of life when I'm in Maryland.

And then there are my families. Always calling, sending cute stuff, flying us home, sending funny emails, just being there. They remind us every day that we are loved, missed and that our return to the U.S. is eagerly anticipated.

SO. I hate moving, I hate saying Good-bye. I hate packing, unpacking, and hooking up new utilities. I hate never getting to talk to my brother. I hate having a rift with my oldest, best friend that is too far away to solve.

BUT. If I never moved, never went new places and never experienced the world as I have, I would never have met all of you. All of you, you who make my life full, sweet, rich, beautiful, amazing. I wouldn't trade one moment of my transient life if it meant I might not have met even one of you.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Until just this moment, I thought of my life as The Long Good-bye. But it's not that at all. It's until we meet again. And we will.


I love you all.

Tiff

5 comments:

thekellyfive said...

I just finished telling my sister yesterday that it would be nice to paint the girls' rooms and not wonder when I'd have to repaint them and hang a picture without worrying about when I'd have to cover the hole since we can't manage to stay in one place. But I love meeting new people, experiencing new things, and creating unique memories. Who can say they lived in Japan!!?!? Only a few of us! I couldn't agree more with everything you wrote. I'm already getting the "two year itch". I think you're a little like me... part gypsy :) Love, Debbi

Michelle Misterkiewicz Wright said...

I am having a hard time with thinking about you leaving Okinawa and NOT coming here! ggrrrrr.

I am glad that I never had that sadness about leaving the Island. It just came up so fast and I was too focused on the baby to worry about the good-byes. In a way, it was a blessing (a very bizarre blessing that I would never wish on anyone else).

Anyway, I still miss everyone so much. I wish that I could be there for Annie as Dan is away and see Tommye's baby and have Nick play with Nate the way we planned and have Theo and Evie play (and grow up and get married). Okay...I am going a little overboard with that one. Somebody better be moving close to us. It seems like everyone we know is going to CA. Don't even get me started on Tina. I am so upset about that. Okay...I am off to cry and then pour myself a glass of wine.

Love,
Michelle

Aimee said...

I am DREADING the day you leave! You were my friend before I got here. You have helped me so much. I wouldn't have any friends here if it weren't for you. Tiffany, you are a good good person and have the kindest heart. Love, Aimee

Unknown said...

Great blog again, sis! I know how much you love japan, and i know its gonna so tough to leave, but i think its so great that you've been able to make such a wonderful group of friends all over the world, no matter where you go. That says alot about someones characther, ya know ;) I cant wait for you to get back to CA (hopefully relatively stress free for you) so i can pick up the damn phone and call you whenever i want. And better yet, not spend $453424253445643 to fly out to see you. Im countin the days tiff!

love ya,

Mark

The Solley Six said...

oh....um....uh...(wipes away one tear)...i'll write when my vision is less blurry. you have such a sweet heart!