Thursday, October 11, 2007

My Mom...

Nana with her munchkins
THIS is your legacy. Be proud! We are!

is the BEST mom. Today is her birthday, so I celebrate her with...

an ODE.



when i was very tiny

you wiped my hiney.



when i grew grew to your knees

you made me eat my peas.



when i reached your hip

you wouldn't take my lip!



when i reached your waist

you taught me to cook, post haste.



when i reached your rib

you taught me to be glib!



when i reached your shoulder

you wished i would never get older.



when i looked you in the eye

you taught me to reach for the sky!



now i'm so much older

a mother now myself.

i spend my days with little me's

making them eat their peas.

and everytime i look in their eyes,

it makes me heave a sigh.

to know the love you feel for me

and how hard it was to set me free.



you sang to me when i was small

you heard me sing as i grew tall.



you tucked me in and cracked the door

3 fingers open, not one bit more.



each night when my babes go to sleep

i pray the lord their souls to keep

i pray to thank him for MY mother

truly, she is unlike any other.

the blessings of your love run deep

i have them forever to keep.



i love you mom.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!




1 comment:

The Solley Six said...

That is SO lovely. Happy Birthday!
Been reading much Where the Sidewalk Ends lately? That reminds me of all the Shel Silverstein I loved as a kid (still love now).
If I wrote a poem it might sound like
i love my mom on a boat, i love my mom like a goat (bad and we're still stuck in the world of dr. suess).
You're awesome Tiff!